Thursday 27 December 2012

Richard Branson - turn a weakness into a strength

How do you turn a disadvantage into an advantage? Having overcome dyslexia to become one of the world’s greatest entrepreneurs, this is something that Richard Branson knows a fair bit about.
It’s believed that the Virgin Group Founder is the only person in the world to have built eight billion dollar companies from scratch in eight different countries, that’s no mean feat. So, how was he able to do this after struggling so much with his studies?
“Back when I was in school, few people understood dyslexia and what to do for it,” explained Branson to The Washington Post.
“My teachers thought I was lazy and not very clever, and I got bored easily...thinking of all the things I could do once I left school. I couldn’t always follow what was going on. On one of my last days at school, the headmaster said I would either end up in prison or become a millionaire. That was quite a startling prediction, but in some respects he was right on both counts!”
The key was to use this perceived disadvantage as motivation to get out there and prove people, such as his headmaster, wrong – or right as the case may be.
“Whenever something goes wrong or you find yourself at a disadvantage, often the best way to handle it is to turn a negative into a positive. I learned this early on.
“Whatever personal challenge you have to overcome, you must be brave enough to accept that you are different. You must have the courage to trust your instincts and be ready to question what other people don't. If you do that, you can seize opportunities that others would miss. Believe in yourself, and use everything you can - including the obstacles - to propel you along the road to success. Who knows what you might achieve?”
Have you overcome any disadvantages this year? Let us know

No comments:

Post a Comment